4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
2 tsp hickory liquid smoke
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
40g rolled oats
250g cooked Puy Lentils from a can or pack, drained
4-6 slices vegan Cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
4-6 wholemeal burger buns, halved and toasted
Little Gem lettuce leaves
2 Dill pickles, sliced thickly
Profusion Organic Kombucha
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the cumin and salt, cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat. Leave to cool.
- Put the onion mixture into a food processor, followed by the liquid smoke and chickpeas. Pulse until the mixture combines but is not smooth – you want to retain some texture. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
- Put the rolled oats into the cleaned food processor and blend until they resemble a coarse flour. Add this to the bowl followed by the cooked lentils. Mix well and season with black pepper. Divide the mixture into four equal burgers and transfer to the fridge for 2-3 hours until firm.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the burgers and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Add cheese and cook for further 2-3 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Spread each bun with some mayonnaise. Put 2 lettuce leaves on the bottom half of each bun. Top with the burger, ketchup, dill pickles, more mayo and the mustard. Serve with hot, crispy fries and a cold, refreshing Profusion Organic Kombucha! (We served the burgers with Turmeric, Ginger & Lemon flavour)