Sunflower oil spray for greasing
250g Self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp Profusion Organic Himalayan Rose Pink Salt
200g demerara sugar
120g light muscovado sugar
120g cocoa powder
550ml soya milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
90ml vegetable oil
Fresh strawberries and extra melted vegan chocolate to decorate
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FUDGE ICING:
300g vegan dark chocolate, chopped
225g Vegan butter
2 tbsp. Profusion Organic Hemp Peanut Butter
300g icing sugar
A big pinch of Profusion Organic Himalayan Rose Pink Salt
- Preheat the oven to 200c (180 fan, gas 6) and grease and line two 20cm round loose based cake tins with greaseproof paper. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in both the sugars and the cocoa. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, vinegar and oil. Mix well.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump-free. Divide the batter between the two tins.
- Put the tins on a baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack.
- To make the fudge icing, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a bowl and add the icing, peanut butter and salt. Cream them together using an electric whisk. Pour in the chocolate while it is still warm so that it combines well into the icing.
- Flip one cake over onto a serving plate so that you have a flat surface. Working quickly, spread one-third of the icing onto the cake. Top with the second cake and cover with top and sides with the remaining icing. If you leave it too long the chocolate will set and it will be harder to spread.
- Decorate with fresh fruit and a drizzle of vegan chocolate!